Calendar widget and day event titles
The event calendar box widget works the same way as the standard wp-calendar post widget, except that
- it does events not posts.
- it will link to a calendar page not a post archive (because of the need to handle recurring events differently)
The event calendar widget will display for each day, a hyperlink title (displays on hover). This title is a comma separated concatenation of the titles of the events for that day. It is not configurable.
List Widget and Descriptions
The list widget display is highly configurable. If your event descriptions are short, you may want them to display in the widget, but if they are long, maybe the title is enough.
How to control display event descriptions
- Have them display only if the event summary / title is “hovered” over ? or
- Display below with expanding and contracting css ?
- or just display normally ?
Three aspects can influence the display:
- the widget settings
- the css (yours or the default css provided)
- the list type settings
1. The widget settings
In the upcoming event list widget settings, one can switch off the ‘hover’ of the description in the link of the summary. Please ensure that you are on the latest version (3.1 or amr-events or 1.0 of amr-ical-events-list) as this feature was briefly lost when the small calendar was introduced.
2. The css
- the default css will hide the description field (if selected for display in the listtype) and only show the description on hover over the event.
- to show the description permanently, you need to either switch off the default css – your theme’s css will apply, or customise it. See ical events list general settings.
3. The list type
The default list type for the list widget is number 4. (you can of course create an entirely custom one). By default the description is NOT shown (ie it has a 0 in the column field). If you want the description or any other field to show IF it exists in your ics file or wordpress event, then you need to assign it to a column. For the widget ‘1’ is a good option.