Your events in wordpress can be as simple or as sophisticated as you wish. There are a number of widget possibilities. Widgets can also work together.
Upcoming Events Widget
- a highly configurable list of upcoming widgets,
- very simple default setup,with optional extras and advanced options for those with complex requirements
- hover event descriptions or expand/contract events
Calendar (box) widget
- Designed to be consistent with your theme’s styling of the wordpress posts calendar
- can also be used as a event navigation tool in conjunction with an agenda list
- Day links can link to a “daily” agenda or list of events using the main calendar page
Event Taxonomy Widgets
Aiming for a sophisticated event system with multiple classification of events? Then you may want to create event taxonomies (or use these widgets with tags and categories)
- Unordered list
- Ordered list
- Tag cloud
Event instances need to be ordered by the date that they occur, not by the date created. Therefore normal wordpress categoryor tag widgets or, other standard taxonomy widgets are not helpful. These widgets will link to the calendar page, passing the chosen selection. The calendar page will then only display those events within that taxonomy.